The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news. A post to recap the past week on your blog, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead.
I am trying to eke out as much enjoyment as I can before I go back to work on Wednesday so I headed off to the Lifeline Bookfest today. Let me give you some stats so you can appreciate the scale of this thing – over 1.5 million books on 4 km of trestle tables with books topped up over night. Books are sorted into high quality, $2.50 quality and $1 quality. My mother came prepared this year with hand sanitiser and gloves for all of us because with that many books, things can get a bit dusty. They spent most of their time in the collectable and history sections while I cruised around the paperback section in the high quality and $2.50 sections.
You can even rent shopping trolleys to cart your books around. NB even though you put your money in the little compartment of the trolley, you don’t actually get it back when you return said item. I nearly made a child volunteer (that sounds appalling really doesn’t it?) cry when I tried to take my $2 back. There was definitely lower lip quivering going on as I backed away quickly. Oops.
I bought eight books which wasn’t too bad as so many of the books on the tables were really popular chick lit ones. My pick of the bunch would have to be Melissa Mayhue’s Highlander’s Curse because it is a tale of a Scottish medieval Highlander who has been cursed by a Faerie Queen. Through the marvels of time-travel he has ended up in the bed of a modern woman and they go back to 1306 to stop slavery or something. The book even has little sparkles on the cover. I don’t know whether it is going to be very good or very bad but I suspect it will be memorable.
- [13 Jan] Everlasting Enchantment by Kathryne Kennedy ★★★
- [14 Jan] Jockeys and Jewels by Bev Pettersen ★★
- [15 Jan] Afoot on St. Croix by Rebecca M. Hale ★★★
- [17 Jan] A Potion to Die For by Heather Blake ★★★★
- [18 Jan] Trance by Kelly Meding ★★★★
- [19 Jan] Beast Behaving Badly by Shelly Laurenston ★★★
- Bear Meets Girl by Shelly Laurenston
- Big Bad Beast by Shelly Laurenston
- Lending a Paw by Laurie Cass
- The Mane Attraction by Shelly Laurenston
- The Mane Squeeze by Shelly Laurenston
- Wolf With Benefits by Shelly Laurenston
- Antique Reading Roadshow Challenge – read 3/20, reviewed 1/20
- TBR Pile Reading Challenge – read 10/40, reviewed 4/40